Sunday 5 April 2009

What really inspired me when I was studying was an emptiness left, the lack of something, left by the paintings I was making on the wall of the studios we were in…I spent several days making some paintings on squares of paper, using conventions of painting, making images,using illusory space and while I was working the paint was forced over the edges of the paper by my gestures. As I put one of these works down on the floor there was a status change where the spilled marks and what they suggested. This mark-free, convention-free space, became more important than the paintings themselves. It’s this suggestion and status fluctuation that set me off on my questioning of paintings and how they real to other things, in this particular case the empty space on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment